Flatbed vs Step Deck for So. Cal based o/o

Flatbed vs Step Deck for So. Cal based o/o

Hi guys, I have a friend of mine based out of So. Cal who pulls reefers under his own authority and is thinking about switching over to a flatbed to start out in the winter to see if he can make some more money. Questions he has:

1. Would it be beneficial to start out under his own authority or run under a company like Landstar or Mercer
  2. How much would the equipment be for someone starting out
  3. Which type and length of trailer would you run if you were based out of So. Cal
  4. If he were to go under his own authority, would company offer flatbed securement classes
Comments
Elias
Elias
If he’s new to flatbedding, I would recommend running under a company like Landstar or Mercer. They have good training and support for flatbed drivers and they pay decent rates.
Haroon
Haroon
I run a 48’ step deck out of So. Cal and I do pretty well. I have my own authority and I use load boards to find loads. I think it’s better than running under a company because you have more control and flexibility.
Magnus
Magnus
A new truck can cost anywhere from $100k to $200k or more, while a used one can be as low as $20k to $50k or more. A new flatbed trailer can cost around $30k to $40k or more, while a used one can be around $10k to $20k or more.
Fred
Fred
Running under his own authority may give him more freedom and control over his rates and loads, but it also comes with more responsibilities and expenses such as insurance, permits, taxes and compliance.
Pascal
Pascal
I have a couple friends running flats, not stepdecks, for mercer. The consensus I get from them is that loads going into Cali pay decent, but they get raped trying to get out. Usually containers paying barely passable rates.
Jordan
Jordan
Mercer has a west coast board or something like that I think. Dont know what kind of money they make though. I would talk to alot of people if I was him.
Jago
Jago
+ Unless he has some contacts that will provide him with loads, he would probably be better to lease on somewhere, but maintain his authority.
Lepe
Lepe
So if reloaction is not an option, maybe running Western 11 is an option. Just a thought... I really don't know enough about the Left Coast.
More Comments
The Best Freight Broker Commercial
708 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject