Can you charge a dead battery via the starter?

Can you charge a dead battery via the starter?

Sitting at work and my truck is dead. Breaker blew over the weekend so block heater wasn't running and it got too cold over the weekend. Our mechanic is about 2 hours out and I need tools to get in the battery box. He said I can connect my quick charger up via the starter. Is this true? Never heard of it so wanted to get some other opinions before I potentially make a mistake.

Comments
Orlando
Orlando
Charging through the starter is old school, but it works.
Clayton
Clayton
Yeah, you can give it a shot through the starter, but it’s like threading a needle with gloves on
Tamsin
Tamsin
Just make sure you hook it up right, positive to positive, and don’t let those cables cross or you’ll be in for a shock
Iestyn
Iestyn
The battery and starter are wired straight together. The solenoid on the starter is the circuit completing switch. By attaching contacts to the starter leads you essentially hooked jumper cables to factory jumper cables hooked to the batteries.
Steve
Steve
Nope unfortunately not. Gonna talk to the mechanic after this about it though, see what we can do.
GGG
GGG
You can. But it would be easier to go get the tools to access the batteries. No jumper lugs under the hood?
Mike
Mike
Yes you can. Be sure you connect to correct terminal. Hook ground last.
More Comments
727 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject