Pros and Cons on running refer

Pros and Cons on running refer

Can anyone tell us the pros and cons on running a refer unit compared to dry van. We currently run dry and our company is looking for teams to run refer. Is it worth the switch? We're told more money, but how, by miles or by rate? What have you all experienced?

Comments
Seamus
Seamus
Reefers can keep you rolling more regularly, but they’re not as simple as dry vans
Levi
Levi
You’ll likely get more consistent loads since folks always need food and medicine
Eddie
Eddie
The rates are usually higher, but so is the responsibility.
Aidan
Aidan
It depends on what you’re looking for. Refer has its pros and cons, like anything else. The pros are that you get paid more, you have more variety in your loads, and you have less competition. The cons are that you have to deal with more maintenance, more paperwork, more inspections, and more stress.
Josef
Josef
Running refer is a pain in the ass. You have to deal with loading and unloading times, temperature checks, spoiled cargo, noise, extra fuel costs, and more regulations. The only pro is that you get paid more per mile, but not enough to make up for the hassle. Stick with dry van if you can.
Magnus
Magnus
Reefer loads usually have more strict delivery times and temperature requirements. I also have to deal with the noise and maintenance of the reefer unit. Plus, reefer loads can be messy and smelly if something goes wrong or leaks.
Marni
Marni
I run a reefer unit and I like it because it pays more than dry van. Reefer loads usually have higher rates because they are more in demand and require more care and attention. I also have more consistent freight and less competition because not many drivers want to deal with the hassle of reefer.
Moon
Moon
A reefer is just another way to haul freight and you need to keep an eye on the temp and the door seal.
Benito
Benito
+ In my experience reefer loads are more time sensitive. Companies are less inclined to try and use the trailers as storage boxes for that reason.
Mike
Mike
I wouldn't worry about the reefer pro/con aspect of the potential switch, I'd be more concerned with the teaming aspect
Strickland
Strickland
Pro -1. a reefer can also be used for dry van loads.. Con 1. reefers are noisy and need to be watched after and maintained
Milo
Milo
shippers seem more picky about reefers, as far as smell/cleanliness. You just about always live load/unload so say goodbye to drop and hook
More Comments
Recruiting Agency Commercial
595 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject