Need help understanding new HOS rules

Need help understanding new HOS rules

Hi everyone, I’m a new driver and I’m having trouble understanding the new hours of service (HOS) rules that are supposed to go into effect soon.I read this article on New Jobs 4 You, but I still have some questions. Can anyone help me out with some examples or scenarios of how these rules would apply in real life? Here’s the link to the article: https://newjobs4you.com/blogs/electronic-log-book/understanding-hours-of-service-(hos)/

Some of the things I don’t get are:

• How the split sleeper berth works? Can I split my 10-hour break into any combination of 7 and 3 hours, or does it have to be in a certain order?
  • How the pause of the 14-hour clock works?
  • How the extension of the short-haul exemptions works?
Comments
Iqra
Iqra
how I understand it. It doesn’t matter which period you take first, the 7-hour or the 2-hour one, as long as they add up to at least 10 hours and neither period counts against your 14-hour driving window. However, you can only split them once in a day
Johnathan
Johnathan
Thanks for the factsheet, it’s very helpful. I’m still confused about the sleeper berth though. Does it matter which period I take first, the 7-hour or the 2-hour one? And can I split them more than once in a day?
Grayson
Grayson
You guys are whining too much. The new HOS rules are a good thing. They give drivers more options and control over their schedules.
Alastair Glover
Alastair Glover
I agree with you. The new HOS rules are a disaster. They don’t address the real issues that drivers face, such as low pay, poor working conditions, and lack of respect. They just add more bureaucracy and hassle.
Aidan
Aidan
The new HOS rules are a joke. They don’t do anything to improve safety or flexibility for drivers. They just make things more complicated and confusing. FMCSA should scrap them.
Daniels
Daniels
+ For the split sleeper berth, you can split your 10-hour break into two periods of at least 7 hours and at least 2 hours, in any order. For the pause of the 14-hour clock, you can extend your driving window by up to 2 hours if you encounter adverse driving conditions. For the short-haul exemptions, you can drive up to 150 air-miles and work up to 14 hours without taking a 30-minute break or using an ELD.
Josef
Josef
These rules are not too complicated once you get used to them. For the split sleeper berth, you have more flexibility now.
More Comments
FREIGHTECH Commercial
6,494 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject