What do truck drivers think of the Tesla semi truck?

Xander
What do truck drivers think of the Tesla semi truck?

Former OTR driver and trainer here… I think it’s brilliant, but I don’t expect the majority of truckers to think so. There’s something nice and macho about making the big rumbly noises with a diesel truck. However, I have started driving electric cars and I’ve seen the light!

Comments
Fred
Fred
Driving a Tesla semi must be like going from a rock concert to a library.
Josef
Josef
Electric trucks, huh? Next thing you know, they’ll be driving themselves. Oh wait, they’re already workin’ on that!
Daniels
Daniels
That’s like swapping out your cowboy boots for sneakers. Sure, it’s quiet and clean, but where’s the growl at?
Benito
Benito
“Each one would need to max out at about 100 kW, or about 400 amps at 240V” Which, for perspective, is twice the service my entire 2800 square foot house has. A relatively small truck stop, with 50 spaces, would then need 100 times as much power as my home, just to power the parking spaces. That’s… eye-opening.
Strickland
Strickland
Yes. IMO, the power requirements are likely the biggest obstacle to adoption. I believe Musk has some plans to add solar and PowerPacks to the Megacharger locations. Solar means more power on site as opposed to running new lines from a plant. PowerPacks allow for evening out the load and smoothing the peaks as well as storing solar energy for nighttime use. It's still going to be a difficult technical challenge, but history has shown us that Elon Musk doesn't shy away from such things!
HFUER
HFUER
It’d be nice not to need it, but it’d certainly be a bonus if you could pick up a Tesla trailer that has been sitting on a charger and be on your way.
Epic
Epic
It will be used for local runs, probably by companies from one of their locations to another. Where they have their own chargers.
Nancy Furex
Nancy Furex
It seems like Tesla could design a trailer to match with the truck. The trailer would contain a battery pack as well as the truck. Pick up a trailer, and you pick up a fully charged battery pack as well. No waiting around for charging.
More Comments
661 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject