DOT medical card be a company's property?

David
DOT medical card be a company's property?

I left a company not long ago, and for my next round of job interviews I need my most recent medical card. My previous company, instead of giving us a physical copy of our card, kept it on file on their end. Flash forward to today, I call my old company and now they say they can't give it to me because that card is "company property," I'd assume because they scheduled the appointment with their preferred examiner. Is this legal and/or common practice?

Comments
Denzel
Denzel
Bullshit
Mari
Mari
Never heard of a company holding onto a driver’s medical card like that.
Addie
Addie
That don’t sound right to me. Your medical card is your ticket to ride, not some company’s trophy. I’d check with the DOT or a legal eagle to see what your rights are.
Eva Johnson / Customer Support
Eva Johnson / Customer Support

Your DOT medical card is valid for usage in any job circumstance so long as the card hasn't expired. The majority of DOT physical examination cards have a validity period of two years. However, the medical examiner may decrease that period if they believe the driver needs to be examined more frequently.

You can continue working at your current job and apply for new jobs without getting a new physical while your card is still valid.

An employer may decide to request pre-employment physicals to ensure a candidate's well-being and suitability for the position, particularly for physically demanding positions. By recording a candidate's physical capabilities before employment, pre-employment examinations can assist in safeguarding employees against workplace accidents and companies from litigation arising from such injuries.

Pre-employment medical exams are advantageous for both the business and the employee. Employers can give their staff members business accounts with Immediate Care. With the help of this, companies may set up procedures for handling worker compensation claims and pre-employment physicals. It is ensured that everyone receives the same pre-employment physicals by sending all job applicants and workers to the same medical institution.

David
David
Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately I don't have time to wrestle back and forth with the company to get it before my interviews, but I'll certainly let the union know they're doing this and hopefully they can get someone on fixing it.
Josie
Josie
Perhaps technically, but it takes a lot of time for police to learn the law. Sometimes they never do. Co worker of mine got 'put out of service' a month ago for not having medical card. He sat in the truck for 5 hours until I got there to drive him back.
Milo
Milo
That is no longer a thing. As of January 30, 2015, Class A, B, or C commercial drivers which certify as “non-exempted interstate” drivers are no longer required to carry their Medical Examiner Certificate in their possession.
Mike
Mike
Not legal, also you should have been given something called short form to keep in your wallet, if asked to provide it to an officer you are required to do so
Keanu
Keanu
You can get copies of what you need from the original medical examiner as well. It is your property.
More Comments
761 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject