Isuzu npr common problems

David
Isuzu npr common problems

i bought a 91 isuzu npr for 5500 i think its a pretty good truck with the 4cyl diesel i get over 20mpg.it has 143k miles,was a one owner.the coe design takes some getting used to though.anybody ever owned one?whats the major problems to look out for?

Comments
Ayden
Ayden
Just keep an ear out for unusual engine noises
Haroon
Haroon
Good deal on that rig
Declan
Declan
Watch for any exhaust issues or turbo problems, they can sneak up
Eva Johnson / Customer Support
Eva Johnson / Customer Support

Transmission malfunctions

During the operation of the Isuzu automobile, transmission parts, especially the gears and gearchanges, wear out intensively this can result in the following common problems.

• Spontaneous disengagement of gears;
  • Difficulty in engagement and disengagement;
  • Shifting noise when shifting gears;
  • Increased noise when the vehicle is in gear;
  • Noise is heard in neutral with the engine running;
  • Noise in all gears;
  • Noise in any one gear;
  • Oil leakage;
  • Fluid leakage;

Gears are disengaged spontaneously in case of heavy wear of gear teeth and details of fixing device (balls and springs) of the gearbox. The malfunction is eliminated by replacing the parts.

Difficulties in engaging and disengaging gears are caused by worn bearings and splined joints, causing misalignment of gears, or by violations of the adjustment mechanism of the gearbox control. Increased noise in the gearbox may be caused by insufficient oil in the crankcase, worn gears, and bearings. Defects can be eliminated by replacing parts and adjusting the control mechanism.

Oil leakage can be:

1. Excess grease in the transmission, drain excess grease;
  2. The rear oil seal or speedometer oil seal is damaged;

To find the leak, first remove all dirt from the gearbox.

A grease remover and/or steam cleaner will do the trick. After cleaning the underside, drive the car at a low speed so that the wind does not dislodge the leaking oil far from the leak. Lift the vehicle and determine where the leak is located.

Care for the gearbox is a daily check (in the course of the car) of its serviceability, the oil level in the crankcase (first maintenance), fastening the gearcase to the clutch housing and gearbox covers (second maintenance), oil change in the crankcase (at the second maintenance schedule) and lubrication of the gearshift mechanism parts (only in gearboxes with a lever mounted on the steering column).

Levi
Levi
I used to own a 95 isuzu npr with the 4cyl diesel. It was a good truck for light duty work but it had some problems with power and performance. The engine was underpowered and struggled on hills or with heavy loads.
Addie
Addie
The main one is the limp mode that happens when the engine overheats or loses oil pressure. You have to pull over and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery.
Mike
Mike
I've driven these trucks. I like them around town, they turn on a dime, but can't image it being good for OTR. Yes, that is the exhaust brake on the turn signal stalk. I guess make sure you buy the best shocks you can you'll need them.
Hello
Hello
+ the better part of about 15 years ago, I used to deliver to 18 stores in FL with one of those Izuzu NPR's with a 16 foot box from Miami to Orlando. They are great in town- alot like a concrete mixer, great under about 45 to 50 mph. But over that for any time and your going to feel it. I used to throw a cab curtain up though and put a lot of gear behind the seat on the floor and sleep in the cab.
GGG
GGG
Well the thing that convinced me not to consider one of these trucks was an accident I saw on my way home yesterday.
Mulder
Mulder
+ We've never had a single solitary major issue come up with any of the trucks ever. We have a 2003 NPR with 560k miles on that one all driven in state. Minor things like mirrors delaminating over time from vibration 80.00. An a/c compressor going out which was 500.00. and a couple heater box fan motors at 20 bucks each. replacing the floor boards in the box but compared to the Chevys and Fords we had prior to 1989 there is no comparision for dependability.
Thomas D.
Thomas D.
Driven it on a road trip yet?? If not, prepare yourself for pure hell, OK. Those Isuzu Cabovers (3500 series) are back killers and will beat the ever loving hell out of anyone in that cab. Tighten down your seatbelt as best as you can, get a couple more tie down straps and make a 4 point safety harness strapping yourself down as tight as you can in that seat, keep both hands tight on the steering wheel, and hang on for hell.....
More Comments
Facebook Ads Commercial
723 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject