Float or double clutching?

Hello
Float or double clutching?

Do you prefer to float your gears or double clutch them?

Comments
Tamsin
Tamsin
Double clutch, only when I’m feelin’ nostalgic
Daniels
Daniels
I’m all about floating gears
Denzel
Denzel
Floating’ gears is smooth
Elias
Elias
Double clutching all the way, it’s the proper way to shift gears. Floating is risky and illegal, and it can damage your transmission if you mess up. Plus, it’s disrespectful to your truck. Double clutching shows that you care about your equipment and your safety. Just my opinion
Eva Johnson / Customer Support
Eva Johnson / Customer Support

You've probably heard these terms used to describe the various ways in which a driver with an asynchronous manual transmission can effectively control their clutch and shift gears, whether you're a professional truck driver, a racing enthusiast, or even just a fan of Vin Diesel.

Hearing why individuals believe they should double clutch is intriguing. You cannot shift it into gear by double gripping. Both gear grinding and gear popping out of gear are not prevented by it.

We've spoken about this before, and I'm always amazed by how many people double-clutch, at least occasionally.

I last double-handed on the driving test for my CDL. Sometimes, because of the situation, I had to squeeze the clutch to get it out of gear.

For example, you can't kick the throttle to release the strain in the gears when you're descending a mountain; instead, you must depress the clutch.

If this is your first time moving rigs, this can be more confusing than helpful to you, depending on where you are in the process.

Slipping out of gear:

By applying pressure to the clutch, the gears will experience less stress, making it simpler to shift out of gear. However, if you utilize other techniques to release the gears' pressure, such as blipping the throttle or abruptly releasing the power, then engaging the clutch is not essential.

Setting it in motion:

In order to match the engine speed while shifting out of gear in a big rig gearbox without synchronizers, you must rerelease the clutch in neutral. Applying the clutch first may result in a more forgiving shift, but if your timing is precise, there is no advantage.

Floating gears operate flawlessly when done correctly. No benefit can be derived through double clutching.

Orlando
Orlando
If I’m on the highway or on a flat road, I’ll float my gears.
Josef
Josef
I prefer to float my gears because it’s quicker and smoother than double clutching.
Eddie
Eddie
I double clutch every gear because that’s how I learned and I don’t want to damage the transmission.
Epic
Epic
+ Float. People say it’s bad for the truck. I say what would you rather replace, your transmission or your knee
Moon
Moon
Floating. It’s easier and faster.
GGG
GGG
Knee > clutch
Mike
Mike
So float…
Thomas D.
Thomas D.
Float like a butterfly Sting like a bee
Magnus
Magnus
I use both, depends on my mood but usually I float
More Comments
The Best Freight Broker Commercial
571 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject