Sliding 5th wheel

Strickland
Sliding 5th wheel

What's the best position for a sliding 5th wheel? And why? Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it.

Comments
Clayton
Clayton
Most of the time, you’ll find your 5th wheel’s gonna be near the front.
Fergus
Fergus
You can slide it back or forward based on your load distribution
Mari
Mari
The sweet spot for that 5th wheel usually depends on your load and rig, but starting with it set right in front of the rear axle is a solid bet
Josef
Josef
The best position for a sliding 5th wheel depends on the weight and distribution of your load, as well as the legal limits of your axle weights. You want to balance the weight between your steer, drive, and trailer axles, without overloading any of them.
Aidan
Aidan
Mine stays centered between my drives so I only have to slide my tandems
Grayson
Grayson
Weight distribution
Denzel
Denzel
I have it forward enough that my steers are nearly 12k consistently.
Keanu
Keanu
+ Slide my fifth wheel back a little bit to give myself some extra room for turning and maneuvering. I also find it easier to back up with a longer wheelbase. But I make sure I don’t go too far back or else I’ll lose traction and steering.
Jordan
Jordan
If I have a light load or a short trailer, I slide my fifth wheel forward to put more weight on my steer axle. If I have a heavy load or a long trailer, I slide it back to put more weight on my drive axles. But I always keep an eye on my weights and adjust accordingly.
Benito
Benito
I usually slide my fifth wheel all the way forward unless I have a heavy load or a long trailer. That way I have more stability and control on the road. But I always check my weights at a scale before I hit the highway.
More Comments
The Best Freight Broker Commercial
652 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject