Tandem Placement

Duncan
Tandem Placement

Does tandem placement actually affect how the truck pulls hills?

Comments
Barney
Barney
Like a seesaw at a playground, find balance
Ayden
Ayden
Too far back and you’re dragging, too far forward and you’re straining. Gotta find that sweet spot.
Orlando
Orlando
You bet it does. Get those tandems set right, and you’ll climb hills smoother
Barney
Barney
The steeper the hill, the more power and torque the truck needs to climb it. Tandem placement affects the amount of traction and friction the truck has on the road. Moving the tandems forward increases the weight on the drive axles, which improves traction and stability, but also increases rolling resistance and fuel consumption.
Levi
Levi
I just let the wind blow me where it wants. Sometimes I end up on top of the hill, sometimes I end up at the bottom. It’s all good. Life is an adventure.
Thomas D.
Thomas D.
+ Yes, it does affect how the truck pulls hills, but not by much. The more important thing is to have a good engine and transmission that can handle the load.
GGG
GGG
Yes it can.
Rony
Rony
The only thing that matters is how fast you’re going and what gear you’re in.
Mike
Mike
It depends on how steep and long the hill is, and how heavy your load is. Sometimes moving your tandems forward or backward can make a difference in how much power you need to climb or descend.
RoadMan
RoadMan
You get better fuel economy, less stress on the motor, and thus easier uphill climbs if the trucks is carrying the weight rather than pulling the weight.
More Comments
Can help with Drivers Commercial
769 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject