FMCSA seeks comments on 18-20 year olds

FMCSA seeks comments on 18-20 year olds

A request from a less-than-truckload carrier appears to have prompted the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to consider a change in the federal apprenticeship program created to attract younger drivers to the trucking industry.

An FMCSA posting in the Federal Register today says the agency seeks comments on a request from Pittsburg-based carrier Pitt Ohio to allow it to accept participants into its apprenticeship program who have a commercial learner`s permit instead of a CDL as stipulated in the regulations that created the Safe Driver Apprenticeship Pilot.

Comments
Magnus
Magnus
It’s a bold move, letting the greenhorns steer the ship
Daniels
Daniels
A permit’s a start, but there’s no substitute for experience
Orlando
Orlando
I’m all for giving the youngsters a shot, but they gotta respect the road
Josef
Josef
They don’t have enough experience or maturity to handle the challenges and responsibilities of trucking. They could cause more accidents and endanger themselves and others.
Grayson
Grayson
I think this is a bad idea. Allowing 18-20 year olds to drive interstate is too risky and unsafe.
Lepe
Lepe
The apprenticeship program is not enough to prepare them for the real world
Marni
Marni
Bad idea
Seamus
Seamus
I see the 18 to 20 year Olds being used as slave labor and easy targets for companies to force them to do sketchy shit
Pascal
Pascal
I’m opposed to this proposal. I don’t think 18-20 year olds have enough experience or maturity to handle the challenges and responsibilities of long-haul trucking. They will be driving huge vehicles that can cause serious damage if they make a mistake or get distracted. They will also face fatigue, stress, and pressure from shippers and carriers.
Barney
Barney
On one hand, I understand the need to attract more drivers to the industry and give young people a chance to learn the trade. On the other hand, I’m concerned about the safety implications of letting inexperienced drivers operate interstate trucks.
Levi
Levi
+ I think it’s a good idea to allow 18-20 year olds to drive semi trucks across state lines. It will help address the driver shortage and create more opportunities for young people who want to pursue a career in trucking.
Benito
Benito
Hell no
More Comments
Commercial
756 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject