Safety Coalition urges DOT to make changes after hazardous materials spill

Safety Coalition urges DOT to make changes after hazardous materials spill

A group of truck safety advocates wrote a letter to Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg urging him to take steps to prevent hazmat crashes and save lives. The letter called for automatic emergency braking on all commercial motor vehicles, hours-of-service rule reform, and opposition to anti-safety trucking legislation.

The letter was motivated by a recent train derailment in Ohio that spilled hazardous chemicals and revealed dangerous deficiencies in the rail and truck transportation of hazardous materials.

Comments
Fred
Fred
We’re not just hauling cargo, we’re carrying lives 💪
Ayden
Ayden
Safety ain’t just a word
Gordon
Gordon
Long hours on the road without a break is asking for trouble. Reform’s gotta come, and it’s gotta come quick
Eddie
Eddie
Stupid
Levi
Levi
Automatic emergency braking could save lives and prevent costly damages. I also think that hours-of-service rules should be more flexible and realistic for truck drivers.
Grayson
Grayson
More regulation oooo regulate truckers harder oooo harder harder
Seamus
Seamus
+ I agree with the Truck Safety Coalition that we need more safety measures to prevent hazmat crashes.
Pascal
Pascal
I think the Truck Safety Coalition is overreacting to one incident and trying to impose unnecessary regulations on the trucking industry. Automatic emergency braking could cause more problems than it solves, especially in bad weather or traffic conditions. Hours-of-service rules are already strict enough and limit our productivity and income. Anti-safety trucking legislation is a myth.
Addie
Addie
Fatigue is actually a very small factor in truck accidents. 80% caused by another vehicle, mostly cars
Barney
Barney
I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I support their efforts to improve safety and reduce hazmat crashes. On the other hand, I worry that some of their proposals could have negative impacts on truck drivers’ rights and livelihoods.
Denzel
Denzel
There’s been a train wreck so let’s punish trucker’s because of it. How many truck accidents are caused by cars?
More Comments
Orpik Inc Truck Driver Leads generation Commercial
697 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject