New York Assemblyman Proposes Bill to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 70 mph

New York Assemblyman Proposes Bill to Increase Highway Speed Limit to 70 mph

Assemblyman Angelo Santabarbara, a Democrat from Upstate New York, introduced a bill to increase the speed limit by 5 mph – from 65 to 70 mph – on portions of several major highways. The bill, if approved and signed into law, would bring New York into line with most other states that have a speed limit of 70 mph or higher.

Comments
Fergus
Fergus
70 mph will make those highway runs a bit smoother.
Declan
Declan
70 mph sounds just right for those long hauls
Haroon
Haroon
About time they caught up with the rest of the country
Eva Johnson / Customer Support
Eva Johnson / Customer Support

Angelo Santabarbara (Democrat from New York) introduced an amendment to the bill that now the permissible speed of cars on major highways will be 5 mph higher (will increase from 65 to 70 mph). If this amendment is adopted, then New York will be equal to other states in the speed of movement on major highways. After all, for a long time, most states have had a limit of 70 miles per hour.

According to Angelo Santa Barbara, this is a decision that had to be made to equalize the rules of the road in the American states. Why could the permissible speed be raised to 70 mph? Santa Barbara claims that now the state of the road infrastructure allows you to safely move at a higher speed, as well as avoid possible high traffic.

After the adoption of this bill, only 7 states will remain in the United States, where the limit will reach no more than 65 miles per hour. And there will also be the state of Hawaii, where it is impossible to move at a speed of more than 60 miles per hour. However, the situation in these states will also be considered in the near future.

If we turn to history, the last time the permissible speed on the roads in New York changed was 30 years ago, when it was increased from 55 mph to 65 mph. Now the decision has been supported by state Senator Peter Oberaker. In his opinion, this is a safe solution, confirmed by multiple checks of the condition of the roads.

Roman
Roman
It doesn’t really matter to me. I’ll still have to follow the hours-of-service rules and tight delivery schedules.
Moon
Moon
I don’t think it’ll make much of a difference. We still have to follow the rules and regulations.
Epic
Epic
I think it’s a bad idea. Higher speeds mean more fuel consumption and higher costs for us.
Hello
Hello
I’m all for it. It’ll help us make better time on our routes.
Leroy
Leroy
+ I think it’s a good idea. It’ll help us make our deliveries faster and keep up with traffic.
Mulder
Mulder
I’m not sure it’s a good idea. Higher speeds can be dangerous, especially for large vehicles like trucks.
Artur Ishch
Artur Ishch
I’m against it. It’ll just encourage people to drive even faster and that’s not safe.
More Comments
Commercial
558 Users
NewJobs4you.com cookies notice

We use a tool to capture how users interact with our websites so we can analyze and improve the user experience. Clicking “Accept” allows us to use this tool when you visit our websites. For more information, read our Privacy Center article on Cookies and tracking.

Accept
Reject